Protecting the environment is a core value for Alton Natural Gas
The project has completed two comprehensive Environmental Assessments following extensive studies and consultation as well as a Mi’kmaq-led independent science review that enhanced environmental protection.
Alton’s research, monitoring and environmental protections for the Shubenacadie River estuary are explained in a detailed presentation:
Ongoing monitoring for Alton led by researchers at Dalhousie University represents nearly 10 years of scientific study on the Shubenacadie River estuary, the most extensive study ever conducted of the estuary.
Learn more about the research:
More information can be viewed here, including the project’s two Environmental Assessments, the industrial approval, project monitoring, and aquatic species monitoring plans:
- Alton Underground Natural Gas Storage Environmental Assessment (approved in December 2007)
- Alton Gas Pipeline Environmental Assessment (approved in May 2013)
- Industrial approval to operate brine storage pond Jan 20 2016
- Alton river site monitoring plan Dec 10 2015
- Alton Natural Gas Storage Estuarial Environmental Monitoring & Toxicity Testing Dec 9 2015
- Spatial and temporal aquatic species monitoring Dec 9 2015