Protecting the environment is a core value for Alton Natural Gas Storage LP.
The project has completed two comprehensive Environmental Assessments following extensive studies and consultation as well as a Mi’kmaq-led independent science review that enhanced environmental protection.
Alton’s research, monitoring and environmental protections for the Shubenacadie River estuary are explained in a detailed presentation:
Read about the published research in the Transactions of the American Fisheries Society on the early life history of Striped bass in the Shubenacadie.
Learn more about the research:
More information can be viewed here, including results from salinity testing on Striped bass, the project’s two Environmental Assessments, the industrial approval, project monitoring, and aquatic species monitoring plans:
- Alton salinity tolerance report (June 2018)
- Alton Underground Natural Gas Storage Environmental Assessment (approved in December 2007)
- Alton Gas Pipeline Environmental Assessment (approved in May 2013)
- Industrial approval to operate brine storage pond, April 8, 2019
- Alton river site monitoring plan Dec 10 2015
- Alton Natural Gas Storage Estuarial Environmental Monitoring & Toxicity Testing Dec 9 2015
- Spatial and temporal aquatic species monitoring Dec 9 2015